Smart home technology is rising in popularity. The diversity of smart home products continues to increase while prices fall and consumers grow more accustomed to having them around; it’s a perfect recipe for ongoing growth. It’s estimated that by the end of 2030, there will be more than 50 billion connected devices around the world – nearly double the number there are today.
So why is smart technology so fascinating and so popularly used? Are smart devices really worth the hype? And if so, how can they improve your life?
Table of Contents
Examples of Smart Technology
There are literally hundreds of types of smart devices, if not thousands, but these categories tend to be some of the most popular:
- Smart thermostats. Installing a smart thermostat is easy – and it immediately gives you more control over your climate. Once in place, you can adjust the temperature of your entire home with an app on your smartphone, set automatic controls, and get detailed reports about your energy usage.
- Smart speakers. Smart speakers from Amazon, Google, and even Apple can help you play music. But more importantly, they have the power to interact with your voice commands via a digital assistant who can help you search the web, discover information, and even shop online.
- Smart home security. Smart devices are sometimes designed with security in mind, giving you total surveillance of your property – and making it easy to call for help when you need it most.
- Smart lighting. With smart lighting installed, you can control everything about the lighting within a room. Depending on the types of smart lights you have, you can adjust their color, their brightness, and even their timing.
- Smart appliances. There are dozens of smart appliance categories, including smart refrigerators and smart ovens. All of them function by helping you control the appliance more efficiently and allowing you to learn more about your daily habits.
The Benefits of Smart Home Technology
So what are the benefits of smart home technology?
- Convenience/time savings. The most obvious benefit is convenience – the ability to save time. Instead of getting up to change the thermostat, you can change it with your phone. Instead of flicking the lights on and off all the time, they come on automatically when they need to. Instead of conducting a manual search to find the weather report, you can simply ask your digital assistant out loud. These small-time savings add up, ultimately saving you hours each week that you can use on more important tasks.
- Energy savings. The right smart tech can help you save energy. With a smart thermostat installed, you’ll be able to automatically adjust your home’s temperature to accommodate your workday – so you’re not heating or cooling an empty house. And you can get detailed reports on your energy usage so you can change your habits to be more favorable. Even smart appliances like refrigerators, stoves, and dishwashers can help you reduce your energy needs with the right settings and recommendations. Ultimately, that means you’ll save a ton of money over the course of your ownership.
- Effortless shopping. Shopping can be a hassle, even if you’re shopping online. The right smart speaker can make it a breeze; all you have to do is ask your digital assistant to place the order and it’s done.
- Ambience and comfort. Your speakers can fill your home with music. Dim lighting can set the mood. And the right temperature can bring everything else together. Greater control over your environment means more ambiance and comfort.
- Instant answers. If you want to find out who that actor is in the show you’re watching or where you can find inexpensive jeans, you can – and it only takes a few seconds. Smart speakers make everything faster.
- Early problem detection. Some forms of smart technology include diagnostics to help you figure out when something is wrong. For example, you might be able to detect a water leak in your home before it does any real damage or recognizes when your heater isn’t working effectively.
- Security and peace of mind. Finally, you’ll be able to get real security and peace of mind. With smart security devices installed, you can rest assured that your entire family has an “eye in the sky,” and a convenient way to call for help if you need it.
Just because there are benefits to smart home tech in general doesn’t mean you should drop thousands of dollars to upgrade everything in your home. Do your research, choose the smart home appliances and devices most likely to benefit you, and experiment until you find the right combination.
Once in place, you’ll stand to save time and money, and benefit from increased peace of mind.