Breast cancer is highest-ranked cancer among women in India. It has an incredibly high prevalence. Every 4 minutes, one woman is diagnosed with breast cancer. Due to this high commonness, it is necessary that active awareness is carried out. In this article, Dr. Rohan Khandelwal, the best breast cancer specialist in Gurgaon, talks about a few facts about breast cancer.
Dr. Rohan Khandelwal offers his expertise in the CK Birla Hospital where you can receive the best breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon.
Table of Contents
Breast cancer statistics in India
- Approximately 2.25 million people in India are affected from some type of cancer. Breast cancer in women accounts for a massive 14% of overall cancer patients.
- Most breast cancer patients in India are younger women.
- The incidence of mortality caused by breast cancer is on the rise. Every year, nearly 70,000 deaths are reported from breast cancer.
- More than 60% patients present themselves to a healthcare provider at an advanced stage of cancer.
Am I at a risk of developing breast cancer?
Breast cancer can develop in any woman at any age. However, there are certain factors that make a person more vulnerable to this illness. These risk factors include:
- Old age; over 60 years
- History of cancer in family
- First delivery after 35 years of age
- High density of breast
- First menstrual cycle before 12 years of age
- Late menopause (after 55 years)
If you have any of the above risk factors, your chances of developing breast cancer increases. You can book an appointment with Dr. Rohan, the best breast cancer specialist in Gurgaon to have a personalized examination.
How do I know I have breast cancer?
One of the prime reasons for such a high prevalence of breast cancer is late detection. In most cases, breast cancer symptoms are not felt or displayed for a long time.
By the time a patient learns about the symptoms, the cancer has already advanced in a much later stage. At a late stage, treatment of breast cancer becomes difficult. It is significant to note the breast cancer signs and symptoms and meet the doctor for proper screening.
Common breast cancer signs and symptoms include:
- Change in the shape, appearance or size of breast
- A sudden inverted nipple
- Breast lump
- Peeling of skin on breast
- Redness of skin on breast
How can I prevent it?
Surprisingly, breast cancer is highly preventable. There are certain lifestyle modifications that can help to successfully prevent breast cancer in women. Here are some steps you can take for prevention of breast cancer:
- Do a regular self-exam: If breast cancer is detected in the early stages, it can be almost completely cured. Regular self-examination can help in identifying any suspicious changes. A breast self-exam is a simple method where you have to analyze your breasts by standing in front of the mirror. Along with the entire chest area, you should also feel and check your armpits for the presence of lumps.
- Maintain a healthy weight – Being overweight leads to obesity. Obesity, in turn, causes a large of health concerns including high blood pressure, menopause, diabetes and more. It is important to keep a healthy weight to avoid these problems. It is because these health conditions contribute to the development of breast cancer in women.
- Choose breastfeeding – If you are a new mom, you have the option to breastfeed your infant. Breastfeeding is not only good for the child but also for the mother. Several studies have proved that breastfeeding a child significantly decreases the chances of breast cancer.
- Regular exercise – Exercising can keep cancer and other illnesses at bay. The objective is to lead a healthy life with moderate physical activity to reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- More fruits and vegetables – A nutritious meal filled with enormous fruits and vegetables can help boost inner strength. A well-balanced diet has many benefits including a lower risk of breast cancer.
- Quit smoking – If you do not smoke, you should not start and if you do smoke, you should quit immediately. Smoking largely increases your chances of developing breast cancer. Smoking considerbly raises the likelihood of heart diseases, stroke and more also.
If you wish to know more about prevention of breast cancer, you can consult with Dr Rohan Khandelwal, the best breast cancer specialist in Gurgaon.
You can also visit the CK Birla Hospital for successful breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon.