Moving can often seem to be a daunting task. There are so many things you need to remember, to pack and to prepare for. However, packing and moving house doesn’t have to be stressful if you plan and prepare. Below are a few headache-free tips that can help make your big move easier.
- Plan: Things to do before you move
When it comes to moving house, it can be difficult to remember that there are a lot of things you need to do before you move house.
- Create a packing inventory: when packing, it can be incredibly tricky to remember everything. Moreover, there is a chance that, when packing, that some items get misplaced. Because of this, keeping a list of everything you’re packing is imperative. This way, you can be sure you have packed everything and know if something has gotten lost in the process.
- Declutter: Because packing is such a long process, to make it easier, you should consider going through your belongings and getting rid of any items you haven’t used in a long while. This will not only cut down the time it takes to pack, but also
- Notify people of your move: This is a step that is of vital importance, but is often forgotten about. Before you leave, make sure you notify family, friends, as well as businesses of your address change. This will ensure that all of your important mail will come to your new address.
- Prepare: Moving tips for a smooth move
- Find a good removal service: When picking a removal service, it is so important that you pick a good one. This is because these delivery people will be handling most of your items, some of which may be valuable. You have to know that they will be professional and careful with your items, so make sure you read reviews before you pick a removal service.
- Identify your valuables and breakables: While most of your items will be able to just go into boxes as they are, you also need to identify any valuables or breakables. Once you have identified them, make sure you take extra care when packing these items, and consider moving them yourself without a removal service, to make sure that everything is properly taken care of.
- Sort out utility bills: This may seem like a painstaking task, but something that needs to be done. Right before you move, you should cancel any utility bills so that you won’t be paying for utilities that you will no longer be using. It is also important that you have set up utilities at your new home. Make sure that you check out the best rates to make sure you are paying for cheap electricity in your new house.
- Pack: packing tips
- Pack efficiently: Once you have decluttered your belongings, it is important that you organize them, as this makes the unpacking in your new home so much more efficient. Consider packing room by room, making sure you label everything along the way. You may also want to consider investing in vacuum-sealed bags. When vacuumed, these bags shrink down, which saves a huge amount of space and allows you to use less boxes.
- Start early: packing usually takes a lot longer than people usually expect, especially if you want to make sure everything you pack is organized. It is therefore important that you start early. Start by packing anything that you won’t need until you move, working your way up to more essential items such as televisions and kitchen appliances.
Moving house is a big challenge. Before you even consider packing, make sure that you have all the legal documents sorted, such as tenancy agreements or mortgages. If you follow the advice above and take your time, moving house won’t have to be such a headache.